Coin Collecting Resource Logo

1971 Un Peso

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Coin Collecting Forum Forum Index -> Coin Identification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamQuark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: 1971 Un Peso Reply with quote

I have a 1971 Un Peso that I got from - well, I don't have a clue where I got it from, actually, clean forgotten - anyway, when I flip it or drop it on a table, it makes a ringing sound. I understand that to mean it is made of silver. But, I'd like to know if anyone could verify that for me.

Thanx!
omahaorange

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be the coin you ask about:

http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/coine.php?image=img5/121-460&desc=Mexico km460 1 Peso (1970-1983)&query=Mexico km 460

The one peso Mexican coin was not minted in silver, but rather cupro-nickel (the same composition as a US Nickel, and the cladding on other US coins). At the current exchange rate, it is worth a little less than $0.08 US. As a collectable, it would be worth between $0.20 and $0.65, depending on condition.
AdamQuark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the coin.

But, if I flip a nickel, it just makes a dull thud-like noise, not a sharp ring.

What would cause the peso to ring like it does?
omahaorange

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a proof, although I cannot find any information on Mexican Silver Proofs for the One Peso coin from that year. My guess would be the size of the coin is what accounts for the difference in sound. It is significantly larger than a nickel.

This is a quick test to see if your coin contains silver. Place a tissue paper (Kleenex) over the coin. If you see white through the tissue where the coin is, it is silver, if you see the shadow or darker outline of the coin it is of another composition. Now if the coin is in a 2x2, plastic flip, acrylic holder or OGP it can sometimes give false reading and if you can, but not recommended, take it out. If you cannot take it out, turn the coin on its edge or look at the edge and if it is white or silver in the middle it more than likely silver. If it has a reddish tint in the middle like a cookie middle, it is more than likely clad or another composite other than silver. I hope this helps you determine your coins composition.

Also, read this thread:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55099
AdamQuark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="omahaorange"]This is a quick test to see if your coin contains silver. Place a tissue paper (Kleenex) over the coin. If you see white through the tissue where the coin is, it is silver, if you see the shadow or darker outline of the coin it is of another composition.[/quote]

OK, now, this is just totally cool. The peso aside, this intrigues me. Do you just know that this works or do you know the actual science behind it? In other words, do you know why silver would cause this effect?

But, back to the peso, I'll have to try that later on, when I dig the coin out of storage.

But, at any rate, what you describe is nifty.

Thanks for your help!
omahaorange

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the exact science behind it, but I can vouch for the accuracy of the test. I have used it myself. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say the difference in how each metal reflects and absorbs light is the science behind the test.
bbb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: un peso Reply with quote

i too have one of these are they of any value?
rpparral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Un Peso Reply with quote

[quote="AdamQuark"]I have a 1971 Un Peso that I got from - well, I don't have a clue where I got it from, actually, clean forgotten - anyway, when I flip it or drop it on a table, it makes a ringing sound. I understand that to mean it is made of silver. But, I'd like to know if anyone could verify that for me.

Thanx![/quote]

Hi... I live here in Mexico and the coin you have is not silver and is only worth 1 peso (which is about 10 cents US). If it were silver it would have a stamp of 7.20 on the coin itself and it would be on the front of the coin. Hope this helps. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Coin Collecting Forum Forum Index -> Coin Identification All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP