Coin Collecting Resource Logo

Uncirculated Denver penny, stamped U.S. Treasury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Coin Collecting Forum Forum Index -> Coin Identification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
froghair

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Uncirculated Denver penny, stamped U.S. Treasury Reply with quote

I have what appears to be an uncirculated Denver penny Question stamped TREASURY UNITED STATES MINT on what I would assume is the "tails" side. I've never seen or even heard of such a coin and would like to know what, if anything, it's worth. Thank you! (I have pictures of both sides but it costs me an arm and a leg to send multimedia messages from my phone. Hoping the description is enough, but pictures are available upon request.)
Solly J

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: RE: Uncirculated Denver Reply with quote

Just found one myself today, and info I've found says it is a token placed in the uncirculated rolls of coins from the Denver mint. Not an actual coin, it is, however, stamped on a penny planchette. They can be found in coin dealers' "miscellaneous" bins, ranging in price from 10 cents to a quarter, although they apparently have no actual value other than the metal they are made of. Mine appears to be a couple thousandths of an inch thicker than a 2010 penny... if it is old enough to be struck on a pure copper planchet it may be worth as much as 1.45 cents scrap copper. Yes, I was disappointed, too, to learn this. Sorry to be bearer of this news, but hopefully this saves you a couple hours.
omahaorange

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures would certainly help. What it sounds like you have is the "token" the US Mint places in the Uncirculated Mint Sets that are released every year. They are the same copper alloy as the cent. There is one for Philadelphia and one for Denver, and are sealed in the cellophane with the coins from each mint. They are not placed in rolls (to my knowledge, anyway). As far as numimatic value, I don't believe they are worth much. They are not legal tender.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found one today at work when I was countin my drawer down and switched for a different penny I thought it look really cool....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got 2 of them at a flea market.Mine are still wrapped.I'm just going to hold onto it as a coversation piece.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Coin Collecting Forum Forum Index -> Coin Identification All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP