My Coin Collecting
Coin collecting is one of the most interesting hobbies, which can be also very rewarding. The purpose of this web site is to provide information about numismatics (coin collecting) and
coin values to coin collectors and/or coin investors.
This web site is dedicated to anything related to coin collecting, it's updated weekly, so please bookmark it and check for updates often.
You can find information about coin values, Old Coin Values, American Coin Values, Rare Coin Values, Canadian Coin Values on our Coin Values page.
Also, please visit our Coin Catalog for an online reference of US coins and World coins and our sister site Gold Coins Zone for information about gold coins.
Wonders of the World - visit this web site to discover cultureal and natural wonders of the world.
There are more and more people who are starting to view coin collecting as investment. You can see this phenomenon with US coins, where some specialists started to suggest to keep 10% of your investment portfolio in precious coins or rare coins!
It becomes more and more interesting for investors as constant growth in coin values bring better returns than risky stock market.
Apart of US and Canada where coin collecting is already matured, it's growing fast in Australia and Europe. In fact, Europe has a huge potential with it's fast growing economy and amazing history of coins. Some East European countries are showing very fast growth in coin's prices as economy is stabilizing, more people understand the potential value of these coins and trying to buy them while they are still cheap. You can buy Gold US Coins, Canadian Coins and Russian Coins online at Coin Dealer shop - My Coin Dealer.
Dealing in currency and coins online is now common-place. Regardless of the recent surge in popularity of alternatives like Bitcoin, currency such as US Dollars and Australian Dollars are still mainstream. Being used for all kinds of purchases including e-commerce, gaming and gambling, they continue to maintain stability, as does the coin collecting scenes there.
Every serious coin collector should take care of his collection in order not to loose coin values. Here are some general coin care tips:
- Try to hold a coin only by the edges, not laying fingers on obverse and reverse sides.
- Use quality pair of cotton gloves for handling proof/UNC coins and for any coins that you don't want to risk fingerprinting
Also see Coin Collecting FAQ.
As a general rule you should not clean your coins. There are some exceptions when you can clean a coin, but make sure you know what you are doing first.
Coin collectors should not use coin holders, which contain PVC, such as soft vinyl flip. Plasticizers mixed with the PVC can damage coins over time, causing greenish "PVC damage".
Please refer to our Coin Holders page for more information about keeping coins safe.
Coin Collecting FAQs
- Coin Values - Information on what coins worth.
- Coin Collecting Part 1 - Answers to questions: What is numismatics? What coins do people collect? What's the best way to get started? Where to find collectible coins? How to handle coins?
- Coin Collecting Part 2 - Answers to questions about coin grading, coin pricing, what's the best way to clean coins, how can one tell when a coin has been cleaned, especially if it was cleaned long ago, how to store coins, tools of coin collecting and how can to protect coin collection from loss by fire or theft.
- Internet Resources - Information about numismatic newsgroups, numismatic web sites and other numismatic resources available on computer networks.
- Coin Investment - Risks of investing in coins, bullion coins and investing in rare coins
- Miscellaneous Topics - List of Numismatic Publications. What are proof coins? What are slabs? How can coins be removed from slabs? What's the best way to send coins to someone? Clubs and other collector organizations
Taking picture of the coins
Here are some tips on how to take coin pictures that may help you: picture of coin.
Coin Collecting Directory
This is a directory of coin collecting websites, which we found to be useful - Coin Directory.
Coin Terms Glossary
Definitions of commonly used Numismatic terms and abbreviations. Coin Collecting Glossary